Launched in 2000, Virgin Blue has rapidly grown to become one of the world’s leading LCCs, revolutionising air travel in Australia and the region. Considered by many as a ‘hybrid’ airline, Virgin Blue offers both low fares and quality customer service.
Virgin Blue had just got started in Australia when the collapse of Ansett Airlines allowed a transformation in its fortunes.
Rapid fleet growth followed and Virgin Blue now operate 68 Boeing NGs and Embraer 170/190s, carrying in excess of 15m passengers per annum, and giving it 31% of the Australian market, a continuing challenge to Qantas.
This success in Australia has encouraged the launch of a number of spin-off airlines: Pacific Blue based in New Zealand, Polynesian Blue in Samoa and most recently, a new longhaul airline V Australia.
E-Commerce strategy build and implementation:
- Virgin Blue’s B2C sales (65% of total turnover)
- Online ancillary initiatives (e.g. car hire, hotels)
- Online travel agency relationships (e.g. Expedia)
- Virgin Blue’s wholesale programme, Blue Holidays
- Development of all the Virgin Blue Group external websites and related services/applications
- Development of all online advertising, search engine optimisation initiatives, electronic communications and Virgin Blue’s guest contact database (1m+ members)